Have you laughed out lately?
Have you? I'm not talking about that brief, fleeting laugh that escapes you once in awhile when you hear something funny, but that hearty, long-lasting laugh that comes from deep within. That uninhibited, loud laughter. Yeah, that's the one. (This of course excludes that delirious mental-state that is ignited by one too many drinks.)
It has been awhile, hasn't it? Can't remember the last time? Well, at least that's the case for me until recently. It's not that I've been horribly depressed (I'm not!), but a good laugh is hard to come by these days. It very much depends on the circumstances and the company. There are just some people whom, even if you have a GREAT sense of humor, just can't make you laugh (think of the Boss).
I am an advocate of the freedom of laughter. I truly believe in letting yourself go, and laugh. Don't just laugh though, roar with laughter. (You realise that I am not such an advocate by choice, but because I simply cannot giggle.) It might be unbecoming of a gal, but suppressing laughter must be one of life's most painful experiences. And surely it is a great fortunate to be able to laugh uninhibitedly?
Recently, during a dull, sleepy afternoon, where everyone was absorbed in their work at my workplace, a voice boomed through the announcement system. "Helloooo Ladies and Gentlemen! We are testing the emergency announcement system..." Such an announcement would usually be solemn and professional, but the guy behind the voice sounded as if he was announcing the next circus act. Hearing that, I burst out laughing, but I had to control it, for at a workplace where one can be easily heard across the level, loud laughter would be hard to stomach. The rest of his announcement was similarly comical and suppressing my laughter only snowballed it into fits, and I was in total agony.
A colleague noted that this guy is being paid to annoy 5000 people (in the building) once a month (that's when they test the announcement system). And I thought, hey, what an excellent job! He must think that the people working in the building are all serious and horribly dull, and hence, decided to add some spice in their life by appearing annoying. I say, good of you! If you are reading this right now, I would love to buy you lunch. For a split second, there was a hint of life at the workplace.
I'm definitely looking forward to the announcement next month.
It has been awhile, hasn't it? Can't remember the last time? Well, at least that's the case for me until recently. It's not that I've been horribly depressed (I'm not!), but a good laugh is hard to come by these days. It very much depends on the circumstances and the company. There are just some people whom, even if you have a GREAT sense of humor, just can't make you laugh (think of the Boss).
I am an advocate of the freedom of laughter. I truly believe in letting yourself go, and laugh. Don't just laugh though, roar with laughter. (You realise that I am not such an advocate by choice, but because I simply cannot giggle.) It might be unbecoming of a gal, but suppressing laughter must be one of life's most painful experiences. And surely it is a great fortunate to be able to laugh uninhibitedly?
Recently, during a dull, sleepy afternoon, where everyone was absorbed in their work at my workplace, a voice boomed through the announcement system. "Helloooo Ladies and Gentlemen! We are testing the emergency announcement system..." Such an announcement would usually be solemn and professional, but the guy behind the voice sounded as if he was announcing the next circus act. Hearing that, I burst out laughing, but I had to control it, for at a workplace where one can be easily heard across the level, loud laughter would be hard to stomach. The rest of his announcement was similarly comical and suppressing my laughter only snowballed it into fits, and I was in total agony.
A colleague noted that this guy is being paid to annoy 5000 people (in the building) once a month (that's when they test the announcement system). And I thought, hey, what an excellent job! He must think that the people working in the building are all serious and horribly dull, and hence, decided to add some spice in their life by appearing annoying. I say, good of you! If you are reading this right now, I would love to buy you lunch. For a split second, there was a hint of life at the workplace.
I'm definitely looking forward to the announcement next month.

4 Comments:
At 10:38 PM,
Anonymous said…
I guess I have a bit of time to write a small note now. Hehe...
Just wanna share wat I encountered this morning. In fact, it was probably a direct opposite of wat u experienced. As I was about to alight the bus this morning, there were quite a number of busses lined up at the bus stop. The bus driver decided to wait for a while for those busses to leave. However, one of the passangers thought tt the driver didnt know tt there were ppl who wanted to get off the bus and decided to press the bell a few times. So the bus driver got a bit angry and started to grumble and in the end other passangers got irriated too....
Yup tt really happened and I didnt make it up. I guess yup, we should all start cultivating good habits. Other ppl will b happy and in turn they will b nice to us and we will b happy too!!!
Stalker whom at the moment has posted the most comments...Hahahaha....
At 11:16 PM,
Anonymous said…
oh i think i posted the comment for the wrong post...hahaha....
At 9:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
just popping ard to say hi, good job for your blog..keep it up!
lotsa love
jeslyn
At 9:44 AM,
Anonymous said…
just popping ard to say hi, good job for your blog..keep it up!
lotsa love
jeslyn
Post a Comment
<< Home